Effective Date: March 30, 2015
Here are a few general principles to keep in mind as you read through this Policy:
- The Site is owned and operated by the Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America and its affiliated organizations (referred to collectively in this policy as “the U.S. Chamber,” as well as “we,” “us,” “our” and other similar pronouns).
- CALIFORNIA’S “SHINE THE LIGHT” LAW, CIVIL CODE SECTION 1798.83, REQUIRES CERTAIN BUSINESSES TO RESPOND TO REQUESTS FROM CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS ASKING ABOUT THE BUSINESSES’ PRACTICES RELATED TO DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES FOR THE THIRD PARTIES’ DIRECT MARKETING PURPOSES. YOU MAY REQUEST INFORMATION REGARDING OUR SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES FOR THE THIRD PARTIES’ DIRECT MARKETING PURPOSES BY CONTACTING US IN WRITING AT CUSTOMER SERVICE, U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, 1615 H STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20062, OR BY SENDING AN E-MAIL TO WEBMASTER@USCHAMBER.COM.
- As our business evolves, this Policy may change, so check back to this page periodically to make sure you understand how your Personal Information will be treated.
- This Policy does not apply to information that you may provide to us, or that we may obtain, other than through our Site, such as over the phone, by mail, or in person.
- Advertisements displayed to you online may be customized to your interests and preferences based on your personally identifiable information and Web site usage information collected through our Site and other online properties unless you opt-out by following the instructions that can be found here (Network Advertising Initiative) and here (AboutAds). (You have to opt-out using each of your Web browsing applications separately.) However, if you opt-out we may still suggest offerings to you on our Site based on your history at our Site.
Opt-In and Opt-Out
You may have the right to opt-in to or opt-out of certain of our uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. For example, when you are asked to provide Personal Information on this Site, you may have the opportunity to elect to, or not to, receive messages from us by e-mail. You may tell us that you do not want to receive our promotional messages or that you do not want to have your Personal Information shared with unaffiliated third parties by sending us your name, address, e-mail and phone number to: Customer Service, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, 1615 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20062, 800-638-6582, firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also opt-out of our promotional e-mails by clicking on the opt-out link within the e-mail you receive. Please understand that it may take us a few days to process any opt-out request and that even if you opt-out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with us. Also, to stop receiving promotional messages from third parties who already have your contact information, please contact them directly.
What information is collected on this Site?
“Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you, as well as information attributed with such information. We collect Personal Information such as your name; company name; postal addresses; e-mail addresses; telephone numbers; fax numbers; photograph; gender; credit card and other payment information; purchase, site browsing and transaction history; job history and application information; and interests, hobbies and demographic information. For example, we collect Personal Information when you conduct a transaction on our Site; create an account on our Site; sign up for our newsletters; register for events; donate through our Site; submit forms for grassroots action; make online purchases; enter sweepstakes and contests; complete surveys; contribute to a chat room, bulletin board, list serve, blog, wiki or other social forum on the Site; or submit a comment or question to us using a “contact us” or similar feature on the Site.
Site Usage Information
As is the case with many Web sites, our servers automatically collect your IP address when you visit our Site, and we may associate that with your domain name or that of your Internet access provider. If you visit a mobile optimized version of the Site, we may receive data from or about the mobile phone or devices that you use to access the Site, including type of device and mobile carrier. We may also capture certain “clickstream data” pertaining to your Site usage. Clickstream data includes, for example, information about your computer or device, Web browser and operating system and their settings, the referring page that linked you to the Site, the pages, content or ads you see or click on during your visit and when and for how long you do so, items you download, the next Web site you visit when you leave the Site, and any search terms you have entered on the Site or a referral site.
Among other things, this information enables us to generate analytics reports on the usage of our Site. To opt-out of your Site usage being included in our Google Analytics reports, you may follow these instructions.
In addition, we may deploy various tracking technologies on the Site to collect additional information about your Site visits. For example:
- HTML5 (the language some Web sites are coded in) may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Site usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how our Site is being used by our visitors, how it can be improved, and to customize it for our users.
- A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed on a Web page or in our electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our e-mails or seen one of our Web pages.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers or partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique identifier to you, and relate your Site Usage Information to other information about you, including your Personal Information.
By using our Web Site, you consent to our use of these tracking technologies as described above.
Some Web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (DNT) signals to the Web sites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how Web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, Web sites should do when they receive such signals, we currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail under the Site Usage Information section above) in response to DNT settings in your Web browser. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
Our third party partners, such as ad networks, Web analytics companies and social media and networking platforms, collect information about your online activities over time and across our Site and other online properties. These third parties do not change their tracking practices in response to DNT settings in your Web browser and we do not obligate these parties to honor DNT settings. We utilize Google Analytics for our Web analytics and you can opt-out from your data being used by Google Analytics by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. To opt-out of internet-based behavioral advertising, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices or http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
How is your information used?
We or our service providers may use the information we collect from and about you to perform the following business functions:
- enabling users to use our Site and its features
- processing and fulfilling your transactions
- administering the Site and your account with us
- responding to your requests, questions, and concerns
- market research
- developing new features and offerings on the Site
- sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you. You may opt-out of receiving such notices from us by following the instructions in the Opt-In and Opt-Out section above.
- protecting our rights and property
- recovering debt and preventing fraud
- customizing our Site to your interests and history with us
- tailoring ads displayed to you on our Site and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
- other purposes disclosed when personal information is submitted to us
- otherwise for research and development, analytics, and to improve, enhance and develop new products, services and other offerings
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both Personal Information and Site Usage Information, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information.
We or our service providers may also use your information to assess the level of interest in, and use of, the Site, our e-mails and our other messaging campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate.
Do we share Personal Information and Site Usage Information with others?
Yes. We may share the information we collect on the Site with others for a variety of reasons. In addition to the kinds of information sharing you might expect, such as sharing with third parties who need your information in order to provide services to us (or on our behalf) and sharing what you voluntarily post to public areas on the Site with other Site users, we may share your information:
- with our affiliates
- with other third parties for their marketing and other purposes, unless you ask us not to by following the instructions in the Opt-In and Opt-Out section above
- with our co-sponsor(s) if we obtain your information in connection with a contest, sweepstakes, offering, or other promotional activity that is jointly offered by us and any third parties
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law
- in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business
In addition, we may share non-personally identifiable Site Usage Information (including aggregate data) with others, for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
Your Access Rights
You may review, update or modify certain of the Personal Information that is stored in our records by contacting us by phone at 1-800-638-6582 or by e-mail at email@example.com. We may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, or delete any information. Your right to delete your information is subject to our records retention policies.
While we endeavor to protect the security and integrity of sensitive Personal Information collected via this Site, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers.
If you correspond with us by e-mail or using Web forms like a “contact us” feature on our Site, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure. A third party could view the information you send in transit by such means. We will have no liability for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission.
If you create an account on our Site, you are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality of your account password, and you shall be responsible for any activity that occurs using your account credentials, whether or not you authorized such activity. Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
If we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our care may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to notify you as promptly as possible under the circumstances. If we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use the U.S. Postal Service to notify you in this situation, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Linked-To” Web Sites
The Site may contain links, banners, widgets or advertisements that lead to other Web sites. We are not responsible for these other sites, and so their posted privacy policies (not this Policy) will govern the collection and use of your information on them. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each Web site visited after leaving the Site to learn about how your information is treated by others.
We may change this Policy from time to time. When we do, we will let you know by posting the changed Policy on this page with a new “Effective Date.” In some cases (for example, if we significantly expand our use or sharing of your Personal Information), we may also tell you about changes by additional means, such as by sending an e-mail to the e-mail address we have on file for you. In some cases, we may request your consent to the changes.
If you have any questions or comments regarding our privacy practices, you may contact us at:
U.S. Chamber of Commerce 1615 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20062, U.S.A.
We can also be reached by phone at 1-800-638-6582 and by e-mail at email@example.com.